Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hi, sorry I haven't posted any recipes lately....very busy.  I am going to Italy for a family wedding, but I will certainly gather some recipes from my family in Milano and share them with you. 
Meanwhile, I have just come across so recipes for preserves that belonged to my mother-in-law, many of you that know me, knew her as Meme.
My very favorite is BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES.  Here is what you will need:
5 medium cucumbers
3 medium onions1/4 cup salt
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup of water
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
3/4 cup sugar
14 teaspoon turmeric
1/ teaspoon ginger
Wash cucumbers and onion then cut into thin slices ( you can use your food processor or veggie slicer)
Combine them with salt and let stand for two hours.  Drain.  Heat vinegar, water, celery seed, mustard seed, sugar, turmeric and ginger.  Bring to a boil.  Add cucumbers and onions, bring to a slow boil until tender.  Pack in clean jars while still hot. Keep them out of a draft,  covered with a towel.  Store in cool dry place.
ENJOY!

0 comments:

Post a Comment