Thursday, April 29, 2010

SHRIMP WITH BROWN RICE

This blog may turn out to be about food only-but who doesn't like food? I know that I do. I try to combine different ingredients in order to make a dish that is a little out of the ordinary. The same old doesn't always do it for me: my hubby on the other hand will eat just a salad if that's all that I make. Here is something I tried with Shrimp and Brown Rice. I hope you try it...it was yummy! Recipe is for two.

1 lb of raw shrimp 1 small red onion, chopped or sliced
1 pk Steam Fresh brown rice 2 stalks of celery, chopped or sliced
1/2 red pepper black olives
1/2 green pepper 1 pkg Steam Fresh Broccoli Crowns
2 cloves of garlic 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon
1/4 cup olive oil 1/2 red wine
3 tbs butter or margarine Chicken broth or clam juice
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt & Pepper


In a large skillet lightly brown sliced garlic in the oil. Add peppers, onions and celery. Saute for about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, steam the rice and broccoli crowns and put aside. Add butter, lemon juice and shrimp. When the shrimp starts turning pink, add red wine (you can substitute with any wine) sprinkle red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Now add the olives, rice and broccoli. Cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes on low heat.
Time is anywhere from 1/2 hr to 45 minutes. I like to prepare everything in advance so that I don't forget anything.

You can serve this alone or with a nice tossed salad. ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. These recipes sound great. I can't wait for grandma Etta's cookie's. I love the filled cookies but can't find the recipe. My mom doesn't have it either.

    ReplyDelete